Sunday, April 8, 2012

Memorial Building

This picture, which we all should recognize, is of the Dooley Memorial building where many classes on campus are held. The building is a staple on the Miami campus as it houses classes that range anywhere from english to mathematics. Memorial was built in the 1930s when the university started to expand. This picture combines the academics of the university with its beautiful atmosphere and year round warmth. On a normal day, one can find many students studying yet enjoying the weather on the chairs outside.
This is not the same picture as the one I saw in the archives however, when I looked at the one in the library I immediately thought of second tour at the school before I decided to attend Miami. I was with my grandparents and a friend and at the end of the tour, I decided that the combination of the academics, campus and weather would be the perfect place for me. I didn't know at that time that I would be attending classes everyday in the building but it somehow made an influence on my decision. In addition, the photo in the archives of the Memorial building reminds me of how my grandmother and I are connected through this school. She graduated from Miami in the 60s and always comes back to visit. In Judaism, there is a saying "L'dor V'dor" which means "from generation to generation"and this building connects my grandmother's education here to mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment