Sunday, April 8, 2012

City of Dreamers


With any great accomplishment, there was always a dream. Without some sort of vision, nothing can be done. As we visited the special collections section in the library, I opened a book that included information about the founding of the university. It started off with a statement that instantly impacted me. It said “.... dreamer who repeatedly makes  his dreams come true is a real boon, not only to his contemporaries, but to all the generations to follow. He is an example that many strive to follow, and a leader who is blazing a trail for those who come after him.” This was an introduction statement to the founder of the city of Coral Gables and the University of Miami. George E. Merrick was a dreamer who knit together the city of Coral Gables. He is credited for the establishment of the university. What captivated me about this was the fact that he was a dreamer. He had a dream and he made it happen. Instantly as I read this, I felt a deep connection to Mr. Merrick. Ever since I was a child, I have always been a big dreamer. Sometimes I have wondered if it is possible to dream too big. A dream if mine has always been to study at the University of Miami. This is the top University in the state and the best in my eyes. Often I found myself confronted with limits and challenges that could possibly prevent my enrollment to the university. However, I decided to hold on to a dream and before I realized, my dream came true. I find it so beautiful how George E. Merrick’s dream was a door way to my dream. He is a leader that blazed a trail for those who came after him. He sparked a flame of enlightenment in me that led me to conclude that Miami is a city of dreamers.
George E. Merrick was one of the many dreamers that invested in the city of Miami. Every person who was involved in the creation of the city had a vision greater than what was seen before the naked eye at the time. Miami with all it’s diversity and variety is filled with dreamers. Exiles make up a large part of the population of the city. These exiles arrived to the city with a dream to live a better life and with hopes of  moving forward. The mobiles who abide in the city attempt to live a dream as they enjoy the city and appreciate everything Miami has to offer. The locals are dreamers who dream of having a voice and succeeding in this city. Miami is an oasis for the dreamer. It is a place established on dreams that remind us that dreams do come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment